CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Meltdowns, Cookouts, and Kyle

My sister Kelly called me around six this evening and asked what we were doing. I told her we were getting ready to grill out. Her response was a disappointed, "Oh". I asked her what was up, and she said that Kyle (her son, my nephew-age 11, fragile x) had been having a meltdown for the past two hours. Then I heard him screaming in the background. I asked what caused it, and she wasn't sure. He had a couple fits and they told him that he couldn't go to the neighbor's graduation party since he kept screaming. His dad and sister went to the party by themselves, causing more upset. I told Kelly that she was more than welcome to bring Kyle over here. She thanked me profusely and they came right over. I talked to Kyle on the phone before they came and told him that if he tried to be calm the rest of the night, that Uncle Eric would make him a hamburger on the grill. He said, "Two hamburgers?" So, of course I agreed to his wheeling and dealing. He brought his bike with him and he rode it up and down the sidewalk on our block. We all had a nice time, and Kelly got to relax. Uncle Eric noticed that his tire was a little low, and tried to pump it up for him, but for some reason, it didn't work. So they loaded his bike up in Eric's car and went to the gas station for air. When they got back they reported that the valve had a leak, and Eric had warned Kyle that the gas station might not be open tomorrow to fix the leak since it was Memorial Day. Kyle said he understood, and Eric told him that if he has a fit about it, that he wants Kyle's mom and dad to call him. He repeated that he understood. We'll see. He doesn't want to disappoint Eric, but in the heat of the moment, he may not be able to keep it together. Eric said he'd check with the gas station in the morning to see if they had a patch, and maybe fix it for Kyle. Hopefully before Kyle gets the idea that he wants to ride his bike.

Anyway, it was a nice evening for us all, and I imagine Tony (Kyle's dad) and Danielle (Kyle's sister) enjoyed themselves not having to worry about Kyle melting down at the graduation party.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are the bestest Sissy ever! Thanks so much for the food, relaxation and the great conversation. I didn't know Ky wheeled and dealed you for two hamburgers! When you told him there were TWO hamburgers, I just thought you were being extra sweet--which of course you were, but who knew! Love you--thanks again!!!! Kelly:)

Anonymous said...

Kelly may never know what caused Kyles meltdown either. That is one of the most frustrating things for me is to not know "why."

I have noticed that with a lot of our fraggles it takes an outside source to calm the child down. Usually my hubby can do it...shoot he has never even seen one. But if he's not around it's my cousin Sarah.

Glad Kyle is better and got his burgers. Hopefully they can fix his tire today. At Walmart they have tubes that never deflate...it may be worth looking into.

Kristiem10 said...

You know, that is so true about outside sources helping to calm a meltdown. Kyle *usually* calms down with me. I could say the exact same words his mom does, and if it comes from me, he can calm down.

Other people can get my kids happy when they are having a fit for me.