Friday, December 2, 2011

Spilling my medical guts.

A couple weeks ago, I went to the doctor for the terrible heartburn I've been having.  The nurse practitioner gave me a prescription for Prilosec and told me to stay away from NSAID pain relievers I take frequently for the headaches I have.

I hasn't helped much and for the past three days, I've been in agony.  Chest pain nonstop with stabbing pains going into my back.  I called the doctor yesterday and scheduled an appointment for Tuesday, the first day they could get me in.  Well, this morning I was having intense pain so I called the doctor's office again to see if there was anything I could do in the meantime until my appointment.  The nurse practitioner called me back and said she wanted me to go to the hospital to have some tests run. 

It was nine o'clock this morning when she called.  She said the tests should only take a half hour or so, so I figured I could get to the hospital and back in time for work.  Ha!  I ended up having to call in sick, which I hate to do.  They did a blood draw, which usually takes several sticks before they get blood.  This time they got it in one stick!  Woohoo!  I also had an EKG and a chest X-ray. 

All my tests came back good except my white blood cell count, which was high.  The nurse practitioner said there's not a lot else she can do right now.  She told me to go on a NO fat diet this weekend and I have to have a gallbladder ultrasound on Monday. 

I am guessing that is what my problem is.  I have been miserable and I am hoping I can get something resolved soon.

***Edited 12-3-2011***

I went to the ER today and they did an ultrasound of my gallbladder.  I have gallstones for sure.  They gave me some pain meds and I have to call the surgeon on Monday.


Bonnie@TheFragileXFiles said...

Oh my, that's no good! I hope you cna get this figured out and get better soon!

Tal's Life said...

FYI: My daughter went through this and the gall bladder ultrasound showed NOTHING wrong. They had to do another test which involved watching how the her gallbladder functions or in her case watching it NOT function. I can't remember what the test was called. All this to say don't let them stop at the ultrasound , if it shows nothing wrong. Have them give you a functioning test. Anyway my daughter ended up having her gallbladder removed and she feels SOOO much better now.

I hope you feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

Kristie is still in the hospital. Some complications, including a nicked bile duct, now pancreatitis also, dehydration, and fever. Please pray for her. They admitted her on Wednesday of last week. Today is a week since her surgery. Thanks everyone!! -Kelly (Kristie's sister)

Anonymous said...

BTW, she had her gallbladder removed on Tuesday of last week (12/6). Not sure she mentioned that before... -Kelly