CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Dentist!



Today both boys had their first dental appointments. I know, Drew should have been there before, but he is so orally defensive that we figured it would be impossible.

Anyway, my niece Jessica went with us. I was so glad she went. I don't know how we would have survived it without help. I wouldn't have had to put Drew in his big stroller, but when he is unsure of his surroundings, he drops to the floor and lays down. And he is no small sack of potatoes. It takes lots of convincing and cajoling to get him up. So, for this trip, the stroller was a blessing. So was Jessica.

I meant to take pictures in the office, but we got a little distracted (big surprise!) and forgot. When they called us back, we went into this area where there were five or six little dentist chairs. The dentist came over and asked questions about their medical/dental history and he had me recline in a little chair while holding Blake. Blake cried a little, but the doctor was encouraging and told him he was doing great. It was over in less than a minute. He said that Blake had no plaque and no cavities.

Next up, Drew. He was a little more difficult to wrestle into the chair. I had to wrap my legs around his and hold his arms down. We were quite a sight. Anyway, the doctor got a good look and said that for the amount of tooth brushing we do, he had very little plaque. And no cavities either. He didn't think it would be good to put them through cleaning right now.

He was concerned about both boys high arched palates, though. He said they should grow out a little more and hopefully their palates will come down some. He said he wouldn't want to put them through braces, so he suggests we consider "guided eruption" which as I understand it, is extracting some teeth to make room for the rest of them. He said it usually has satisfactory results, though not perfect.

He was a really nice guy. We go back in six months.

4 comments:

theotherlion said...

I had to have a tooth removed when I was little cause I didn't have enough room for it, and my orthodontist mentioned the assymetry every other time I saw him! He could not get over it, and I could not care less!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad it went well for you guys. Isn't it amazing how us mommies do all this worrying and it always ends up just fine?

Misty said...

Caleb loves to go to the dentist, but he is very orally defensive as well. They do the best they can with the cleaning and he has never had X-Rays. Thankfully there are no visible cavaties. I know how hard it can be when you have sensory defensive children.

a said...

I'm proud of you for doing it...I know it's hard--so glad you had help! I have to take mine to the doctor soon for flu shots. Ugh.