Monday, October 1, 2007

The Happiest Sickie Ever

This afternoon while the boys were at school, I took a nap. The phone rang. I listened to the answering machine pick it up, but the volume was too low to hear who it was. So, I drug myself to the phone and played the message. While it was playing, my cell phone rang. It was the school nurse at Shelby Hills. She said that Blake was sick and had 100.2 degrees temperature and I needed to come get him.

He acted perfectly fine this morning, talkative and happy. I hate when this happens because it always makes me feel like I am a bad mom who is not in tune to her child. I threw on some clothes, brushed my dirty hair and went to school.

The secretary stopped me and waved me into the office on my way to the nurse's room. She asked if Blake was sick. I told her I got a call that he had fever. She was surprised because she said he was very talkative when he brought in the attendace.

I knocked on the door to the nurse's office, and entered. Blake was laying on a cot with a blanket covering him. He got up quickly and waved goodbye to the nurse. We got to the car, where I had to wrestle him into his carseat as normal. I won, and he got buckled in. He was mad about his loss and threw his shoe at me. Lucky for me, I have cat-like reflexes and I deflected the shoe easily.

Since I was in Sidney, I stopped at the bank on the way home. He started singing the "goodbye song" on the way. Then he moved onto the hello song, then the weather song. When he wasn't singing he was talking to me. "Mommy, what you doin'?" "What's dat?" "I want milk", etc.

When we got home, he said, "I want Blue's Clues!" and headed to the snack cupboard. He is now chowing down on Chex Mix and drinking milk. I checked his temperature, and it was below normal.

Funny kid. I wonder if he is too young to fake sickness? Reminds me of when I was a kid and I put the thermometer on the lightbulb to make the temp. go up. lol. I don't doubt that he wasn't acting like his normal self or that he had fever, but he sure recovered quickly. He might have an ear infection. That's my best guess with him. He won't let anyone touch his ears, so it is hard to tell. He isn't allowed to go to school tomorrow because of the 24 hour no-fever rule, so I'll probably try to get him in to the doctor. Updates tomorrow.


Peggy said...

How funny--a light bulb! I hope he's not faking already! But probably not, they sometimes bounce back so fast.

Kristiem10 said...

lol. Yeah I don't really think he was faking. He really has been fine the rest of the day.

Anonymous said...

Matt so does that too!! I'm like you...I feel so guilty. When I walk into the nurses office I feel like she is throwing bad mom daggers at me with her eyes. I know shes not but I still feel horrible. And just like that Matt will be fine. I don't get it.

(and Matt hates his ears touched too!!)