CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, October 20, 2007

A nice weekend breakfast treat



This is not the best picture, but believe me, this French Toast Casserole is worth making. I made it a couple days ago for supper. I am thinking of making some more for breakfast tomorrow. The recipe doesn't call for frosting, but I made a cream cheese frosting with a spash of maple extract in it. So. Good.

Here's the recipe:

1/2 cup butter or margarine
12 slices white bread
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
5-6 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk

Melt margarine in a 9 x 13 baking pan.
Put 6 slices of bread in bottom of pan.
In a bowl mix 1 cup brown sugar with 1 tsp cinnamon.
Sprinkle 1/2 of this sugar mixture over bread.
Add another layer of 6 slices of bread.
In a bowl, whisk eggs with milk until well blended.
Pour over bread layers.
Sprinkle with remaining sugar mixture.
Cover and refrigerate overnight. (optional)
Bake covered at 350F 30 minutes.
Uncover and continue baking 15 minutes or until set and browned.

*I used a loaf of split-top bread I got from the bakery at the grocery. I sliced it thick and covered the bottom of the pan with the slices. It was more than six slices. I am assuming the recipe is referring to Wonder-type bread slices. Then I followed the recipe as directed, until I got the frosting idea.

0 comments: