CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

My sister is weird

So, last night I went to my sister's house. She said, "Oh! You have to see my new favorite show." She was flipping through the guide, and hesitated for a moment. I said, "Beauty and the Geek is your new favorite show?" She said, "No" like it was the silliest notion ever. "This is!" said she. She clicked to the Live Jewelry Auction channel. She explained it to me in great detail. This woman with red shiny hands and a french manicure put a ring on her finger and the camera zoomed in very close. "They put lotion on their hands before the show" Kelly explained. She complained that the girl who was currently hosting was not as good as the other ones. She said, "She didn't even mention that it is white gold!" And she said, "They get lots of emails from buyers who brought their jewelry to get appraised and it was worth four times the purchase price!"

The premise if the show is that they show the value of the item up for auction. Then they show what they are "willing to let it go" for. People actually call the 1-800 number and watch the t.v. until they see something they want to buy. Then they press 1 to place their order. They always have a limited quantity, like three or seven. And if no one buys it, they drop the price. I guess the risk is if you wait too long, you might lose out on your chance to "win" the ring of your dreams.

Anyway, she said she hasn't bought anything, but I bet it is just a matter of time before she is watching the show, phone in hand, finger poised over the 1 button to lock in her order.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those jewelry shows can be tantalizing, but only in the middle of the night when you wake up and can't get back to sleep because your husband is snoring.

Anyway, had to tell you--had my first bowl of Cream of Wheat in years. Thanks for the memories.

Oma

Kristiem10 said...

Good for you! I still haven't replaced my generic box for the real deal.