CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, December 15, 2007

I am a pushover

Thursday night, I decided to make cookies for Drew's school Christmas party. I made spritz cookies with Kelly's Pampered Chef cookie press, and I made gingerbread men. I seriously baked for hours. I am not a baker. I would much prefer to cook a meal, and cookies are not my forte. I always seem to blacken the bottoms while the top is underbaked. So I thought I'd try my mom's cookie sheets. She has those Air Bake kind. They worked like magic. No black bottoms at all. Anyway, I am not neat and tidy in the kitchen, so it was a huge mess by the time it was all said and done. I swore I was never making cookies again. I sent the cookies in for the party, and when Carol dropped Drew off, she complimented me on the cookies, saying how good they were. I appreciated it, but it didn't convince me to make more. But then, we went in the house, and Drew said, "Mommy, I want more green cookies. Open it?" So, I helped him get the container open. He kept coming back for more. He loves my cookies! Sadly, he ate the last one. So this morning, he said, "Mom, where's the cookies? The green ones." I told him the he had eaten them all, and he said, "I want more!" So, what do you think this pushover did? At seven thirty this morning, I made another batch of his beloved green cookies. And I have to admit, I love them too. They really weren't that hard to make. Here's the recipe. Be forewarned that you may end up making more than you intended. They melt in the mouth.

Buttery Spritz Cookies

1 cup butter (no substitutes),
softened
1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
Food coloring

1. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and extracts. Combine the flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Tint with food coloring if desired.
2. Using a cookie press fitted with the disk of your choice, press dough 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Top with colored sugar and decorating candies if desired. Bake at 375 degrees F for 6-8 minutes or until set (do not brown). Remove to wire racks to cool.

1 comments:

Crooked Eyebrow said...

Yummy. I love to bake, if only someone would clean up the mess.

I'll have to try these!