CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, October 8, 2010

Something sweet

I took Blake to the doctor yesterday.  Well, he knows that a trip to the doctor usually involved a look into his ears.  Having his ears touched is something he abhors. When we were in the waiting room, he said, "Your turn.  I watch."  I said, "Sorry, but you have to see Dr. Blatchly.  He's nice, remember?"  They called us back to the exam room.  We checked Blake's weight and height, which is 51 lbs and 49.5 inches.  The nurse got the scoop on what was going on with Blake and left us to wait for the doctor.

Blake kept saying, "I gotta go potty!"  I had just taken him right before we left the house, but thought we better err on the side of caution.  I took him and we went back to the room.  He crouched by the exam table and whined, "No doctor.  No Ashley."  (his pronunciation of Blatchly)  We waited awhile longer and he started saying he had to go potty.  I reminded him that we had just gone.  He started yelling, "I've gotta go POOP!!!"  extremely loudly.  So, what can I do?  I took him to the bathroom again.  And he did have to go poop. 

Now you're wondering where the "Something Sweet" comes into this post, aren't you?  Well, we got back to the room and waited.  When Dr. B came in, Blake backed himself into the corner behind the exam table.  I talked with the doctor about what was wrong.  I mentioned that I had the same symptoms as Blake for the most part.  He asked if he could examine me.  I said sure.  I told Blake, "See?  It's my turn"  When he was done checking me out, I went and pulled Blake from behind the exam table.  I sat on the chair with him on my lap.  Dr. Blatchly squatted in front of him, talking quietly to Blake so as not to scare him.  Blake was crying at this point.  Dr. B tried to listen to him with his stethescope.  Blake turned around and put his arms around Dr. Blatchly and laid his head on his shoulder.  Dr. Blatchly said, "It's ok.  You're a good boy, you're doing fine."  He was able to listen to his lungs from his back while he held Blake.  He looked up at me and said, "Sometimes life just surprises you, doesn't it?"  I said, "Yes, it does."  He let Blake go and said, "All done, buddy, you can go back to your safe place now."  And Blake did.  This is one of the many reasons I love this man.

When we were waiting to pay, Blake saw Dr. Blatchly in his work area, and said, "Dr. Ashley, what are you doing?"  Dr. B said, "I'm getting ready to see my next sick person."  Blake said, "Can I help?"  I said, "Dr. Blatchly does not need your help."  Blake said, "Dr. Blatchly, you're great!"  lol. 

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Way a go!!!!Blake your growing up.

Bonnie@TheFragileXFiles said...

You're right, so sweet!!

theotherlion said...

Punkin was amazing the last time I had to go to the doctor. He wanted to do everything I did -- the blood pressure, the heartbeat, all of it. He was PERFECT. Hopefully it carries over. It means so much to have an understanding pediatrician.