CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, April 11, 2011

Our first real social story

For years, people have been telling me to write social stories for the boys to help them get over anxieties about social situations.  For years, I have been thinking I couldn't make a decent social story.  I worried about following the "rules" for them.  Ever since I brought Drew home early from school when he was having seizures, he's been  thinking I am going to pick him up early and rescue him from having to work.  I definitely stand my my decision to pick him up that day, but it had some consequences.  Anyway, over the weekend, I made a book for him about going to school.  And I illustrated it.  lol.  The thing took me about ten minutes to make, so obviously it could be prettier.  Not the point.  We've read it many times, and Drew likes to point out the little stick people and who they represent.  I hope that even if it doesn't help right away that in time he will be helped by it.  So, here it is, in all it's glory:








His teacher told me that he cried for a little while when he got to school, but not nearly as long as before.  Maybe the book is working!  We'll keep reading it and see if it gets even better. 



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did a great job and I like the stick people too! I hope it will help Drew. Mom

Anonymous said...

Looks good to me.
Mark

Pam Maxwell said...

Woo Hoo Kristie I love the book, I can't believe Drew is 10 already where has the time gone. Tell him Maxwell says Woo Hoo and Hi!!!

Pam

fragilemom said...

I love it! I think I'm gonna try something like this for mine for some behaviors he's started at school :(. I'll let ya know how goes. Thanks for bloggin it.