CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, November 14, 2011

Who turned off the lights?

When the kids got home from school, Drew's aide told me that Drew started crying around 2:30 and she couldn't really figure it out.  Blake was mad and when Drew took too long to get out of the car, he tried to push it closed and hit Drew in the head with the door.  I told Blake to get in the house in timeout and I tried to get Drew in the house.  He ran off into the house, smacking himself in the head the whole way.  Drew was upset for awhile.  I checked his head, which was okay.  Blake came in and apologized to him.  Drew said, "It's ok, buddy."  Things were really looking up when I remembered I had bought him a new notebook this morning!

Ok, so things were going pretty well.  I made supper (which Eric jokingly said was the best meal I'd ever made)  Drew was on the computer and Blake was in the toyroom watching television when everything went black.  It was so dark you couldn't see your hand in front of your face.  Well, I didn't try it, but I'm guessing.  lol.

Both boys started crying and screaming right away.  I went to Drew first because he was closest.  Then I got Blake in the kitchen with us while Eric looked for the flashlights.  Unfortunately, the batteries were out of it.  We do have an emergency kit in the garage, so Eric headed out there for batteries and flashlights. 

Drew started groping his way down the hall saying that he wanted to go to bed.  I guess he felt safe there.  The three of us went in Drew's room while Eric arranged emergency lighting.  We did have one flashlight with us in the bedroom.  I couldn't get them calmed down for anything.  They both screamed and cried and begged Eric to fix the lights.  Blake would try to flip the light switch and when nothing happened, he'd burst into tears all over again.

We debated about taking them somewhere, but they were both in their underwear and they were completely upset by the idea of leaving.  So we decided we'd just stay home.  All of a sudden, a car pulled up in front of our house.  I opened the front door and it was my mom and dad! 

The kids took about five minutes until they were calm.  They were so glad Grandma and Grandpa were here.  Apparently the whole town was out of power.  I think it took about an hour and a half until it came back on.  In the meantime, Blake went in his room and fell asleep.  Drew went in his room and got in bed, but didn't sleep.  He came out a couple times to make sure Grandma and Grandpa were here. 

When it was over, Eric and I talked about how we could make it better the next time we lose power.  We have some Coleman lanterns, but they needed batteries.  I have to admit to removing the batteries from the lanterns for use in a toy or my digi camera.  So we need to make sure the batteries stay in the lanterns.  Also, maybe a social story about the power going out?  I kept reminding them that it's still our house, everything is okay, but they really were upset by it all.  Blake woke up crying a little while ago and was still upset, even though the power was on.  Poor guy!

What an ordeal!  I hope we don't have that happen again soon.

1 comments:

ceriterakini said...

I enjoyed reading tthis