CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, July 1, 2012

A VBS lesson for the mama

My friend Eileen is the Children's Pastor at Sidney First United Methodist Church (she has some other official title, but this is her main area of focus).  My kids have gone to VBS at her church for several years now.  She has always arranged for someone to be a helper for my boys. 

Last year Drew had a nice girl named Ashley for a helper.  His anxiety level was pretty high and he spent a lot of his time in his special needs stroller going up and down the elevator.  This year, he walked in on his own two feet and even participated with his grade.  Ashley was his helper again this year, and she was happy to see how well he is doing.  He was even able to go into the sanctuary for opening and closing music.  This can be very loud with lots of kids screaming and singing, but he took it all in stride.  He stood by the door welcoming people into and out of the doorway.  The ramp into the sanctuary is also level with the stage, and a few times Drew walked onto the stage with Eileen!  With all those kids!  Pretty cool.

I helped out at VBS where we sold some VBS-themed merchandise.  Since my kids are music lovers, I bought the CD with the songs they sang that week.  There is a song called "You, You, You" on it and we have now played it a hundred times in the van.  The words are, "You, you, you, you can trust God.  You can take Him at His Word, and give Him your heart.  It doesn't matter who you are, you can trust God."

This song has come into my mind so many times in the past week.  It's like God is reminding me, "You can trust me.  I am trustworthy."  We had a big storm on Friday that knocked out our power.  It scared the boys and seemed pretty traumatic while it was happening.  I am a little like my kids.  Not that I get scared of storms, but I do like my routines.  So, when we spent the night at my sister's house (bless them for keeping us!) it threw me off my sense of peace.  It was only after the power came back on that I remembered the song again that I'd been singing all week.  "You, you, you, you can trust God."  Silly me.  I let a little change in plans make me feel upset. 

I have said it before on my blog and I will say it again.  I trust God for my salvation, but sometimes forget to trust him with the everyday things of life.  The Creator of the universe came to earth from glorious heaven, suffered and died to pay for my sins (and yours!), broke sin's grip on my life, wiped my slate clean, if you will, and I fully trust that when I die or when Christ returns, I will be with Him forever.  How can I believe all this and not leave the small things to Him? 

Well, as that little children's song goes, "you can take Him at His Word, and give Him your heart.  It doesn't matter who you are, you can trust God." 

What did he say in his word?  Romans 10:9 says, If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.   Do I do this?  Yep.  Sure do. (Have you done this?  If not, the next verse will always elude you) 

Matthew 11:28 says, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."  Do I do this?  Hmm, that is a little tougher to admit.  I do this sometimes.  And He does give rest.  I have to remember that I can take Him at His Word.  

Tonight we had another storm.  And we were in the van when it started.  Eric and I cranked up "You, you, you" and reminded our kids and ourselves that our God is trustworthy and we can give Him our heart.  And our circumstances.

1 comments:

Janet said...

Very nicely written. I'm always a little surprised and then ashamed when God takes care of things that I'm worried about.