CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, December 17, 2012

A Sensory DIY attempt

I looked at buying a weighted blanket for Drew for Christmas, but was astounded at how expensive they are.  Drew loves blankets, regular and weighted, but the boy has rules.  They have to cover his feet and his head while he is stretched out.  He doesn't like having to scrunch up in order to be all covered.  For it to be long enough and heavy enough for someone his size, it would cost at least $250!  And that doesn't include shipping on the thing.

I decided to attempt to make one myself.  I looked online for patterns and found several different styles.  I decided on the one I like the best.   This website has a tutorial:  http://craftnectar.com/2009/09/03/calming-the-senses-with-weighted-blankets/

I bought two twin flat sheets to start.  I already had a bag of poly-fill.  I was shopping yesterday and stopped at JoAnn Fabrics to look for poly pellets, which are machine washable.  I looked at them and they were seven dollars for a two-pound bag.  I brought my purchases to the counter and started a conversation with the cashier about what I was doing with all those pellets.  She asked if I had a coupon.  I told her I didn't.  She whipped out an ad and said she had some.  She scanned five different 50% off coupons for me, and brought my total to $17.50 for ten pounds of poly pellets!  And I spent about ten dollars on the sheets.  That's less than thirty dollars total.  Awesome!  Now I just need to make it!

I will update later with pics. 

0 comments: