CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, September 21, 2007

My Sister




A sister is a gift to the heart, a friend to the spirit, a golden thread to the meaning of life. ~Isadora James

My sister is my best friend. We weren't always this close, Kelly and I. She is five years older than I am, and many times over the years I am sure I drove her crazy. She and our cousin Trisha, who is closer in age to Kelly, would do things together. Like sing "Ebony and Ivory" into the tape recorder, and not let me get a part. (I went off by myself and recorded a pathetic song of my own making) Or like when she got out Mom's old Miriam-Webster dictionary to recite the definition of a sister. "A sister is someone who does what the older sister says." I was always the brown noser of the family, so when it was chore time on Saturday mornings, I would boss her around, and say things like, "Do you want to sweep or dust?" Like giving her a choice would get her to help. Or sometimes she would dare me to say a bad word into the tape recorder and then use it to blackmail me when I caved. Yes, again with the tape recorder. It was the eighties, ok?

But then there were times that we were protective of each other. I remember one time Kelly was really in trouble for something and I was compelled to stick up for her. "Don't yell at my sister!" I cried. Or when I had bad dreams as a kid, she'd always let me come sleep in her bed with her. She let me drive her car when I was fourteen. Shh--don't tell!

As an adult, I have never had a truer friend. She always understands me. She has kids with Fragile X too, and whatever I am going through with my kids, she can almost alway relate. When I complain about Eric, she listens without bashing him. She has a strong faith, and always tries to be obedient to God. I admire that, because I can't always say the same for myself. She holds me accountable when I am doing something I shouldn't.

We like to get time away together without our kids sometimes. When I get home Eric always rolls his eyes and says, "How was Outback?" Because that's where we always go. Loaded fries and a loaf (or two if we're lucky) of bread. It doesn't matter what we do. We always have a good time together.

Anyway, I don't talk a lot about my sister on my blog, so I thought I'd give her a post of her own. Here's some pics of us:













Love you sissy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I wanna sister :(

Anonymous said...

I LOVE you too My Sissy! You are the best sissy a girl could want! Love you so much...

Kelly :)