CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, September 22, 2007

The Tale of the Lantern

The other day, I went through some old decorations I had in a box. We moved into this house when Drew was almost two, and I put some of my knicknacks away at that time. I came across a lantern that I always liked, so I got it back out and put it on the end table in the living room. I didn't think much of it at the time, other than the fact that it holds a candle, and of course I would never light a candle in it. Well, it has become a source of great joy for my boys. How odd, did you say? Well, you see it has a little door on it. So you can light the candle.



And my boys are obsessed with doors. Drew loves opening and closing them. When Drew came home from school that day, he sat down on the couch and looked at the lantern for a minute. Then he said, "Mommy! It's a door. I hold it? On the couch?" I said, "Nah, it is not a toy. Just let it alone." And he seemed content to just look at the door. I left him alone, and minutes later of course, he was holding the lantern in his lap and opening and closing the door.

Last night, I went shopping with my sister (yum, loaded fries!) and this morning I noticed the lantern was on top of the fridge. Eric is still in bed, so I assumed Drew kept messing with it, and Eric put it up. But when Blake got up, he took me by the hand, and brought me to the fridge. "Up theah! I want it." he said, pointing.

What is the obsession with the lantern?! Cracks me right up. Crazy kids.