Friday, September 3, 2010

School Update

It's been awhile since I posted school updates. Blake is doing well. He is spending more time in the classroom this year than he did last year. He is pulled out for speech, occupational therapy, and physical therapy. He is also in a small resource room class with first and second graders with learning disabilities. He gets homework Monday through Thursday, but he doesn't mind. So far it has not included any worksheets, which is good. Neither of my boys are very cooperative when it comes to those. We've been reading a book they send home and practicing words on a ring. He likes school, and as far as I can tell, his behavior has been good.

Drew is slowing adjusting to his new placement. He still has trouble going to gym, music and art. The first few days, he stood outside the classroom doors during those classes, refusing to go in. He has improved in that area and can now sit in the classroom with the other kids. He doesn't participate much, but of course, he's taking it all in.

He is in a different resource room for 3rd and 4th graders and works one on one with his special ed. teacher and his aide. I think that is going fairly well.

Yesterday, there was a fire drill. The teacher and aide were given about five minutes notice. They tried to get Drew out of the school before it happened, but when he found out it was a fire drill, and would be loud, he got scared and wouldn't move. They ended up locking arms with him and practically carrying him down the stairs. The alarms went out and he started screaming. Poor guy. I emailed the principal about giving them way more notice about fire drills so they can get Drew out of the building before it occurs. Also, I asked that they notify Blake's teacher and aide well in advance of the drill.

Next week, I am speaking to the whole fourth grade about Drew. I am not totally prepared, but I have been thinking about what I'd like to say. I still need to make arrangements with Blake's teacher for speaking to the first graders.

I am getting used to being back to work. I'm trying to stay organized and get everyone's clothes ready the night before. That helps a lot. I don't really like ironing in the mornings. Also, my arms hurt a lot! I have been moving a lot of food from the elementary building to the high school. Apparently I've been using my left arm more to lift things, because I think I strained a muscle in that arm. I am glad for a three day weekend. I am not doing any work this weekend. (hear that, Eric?! lol.)