CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Fragile X Awareness Day

My family goes to a new church.   Everyone there is so wonderful to our kids.  My sister Kelly and her family goes there, too.  And a month ago, Kyle had a major meltdown.  It was caused by a little misunderstanding and a small disappointment. 
The resulting debacle was Kyle crying loudly on the floor under a pew during the worship (songs) portion of the service.  And the band played on, as it were.  Thankfully.  I took my kids out to keep them from getting upset.  I expected Eric and Tony to be dragging Kyle out any minute.  But instead, Eric and another member of the church came out to tell me that things were under control.  We went back inside and settled into our back row pew.  I later found out that the pastor himself got under the pew to talk with Kyle.  Everyone was very nice about the whole thing, but I knew it left many people wondering what happened. 

I have had that in the back of my mind, but pushed it aside.  The past week I have really been thinking it is time for me to have a talk with our new church about Fragile X.  I emailed the pastor one day this week and asked him if I could do it sometime.  He said I could do it this Sunday.  Which was ironic, or actually not because it was definitely God's timing.  Today is National Fragile X Awareness Day. 

I dragged Kelly up there with me and read this scripture:

At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?”


He called a little child and had him stand among them. And he said: “I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.  “And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me."

That is what our church has done.  They have welcomed our kids into their group without judgement or disdain.  I thanked them and gave them the whole rundown on Fragile X Syndrome. 

I think it went pretty well.  I passed out a sheet we made with a bio of each kid.  Many people told me they appreciated it and that we are a blessing to them.  And to think, I thought we were more of a hassle than a blessing.  :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have just recently joined a new church as well, and even though we haven't had any real big issues yet, I also have been thinking that I need to explain FX to them. But I haven't yet except to a few teachers and friends that we've made. The church has made us all feel very welcome and loved and they have already accepted us even w/o knowing exactly the situation with our Caden. I'm so thankful for God's people that will love us unconditionally and most of all thankful for God, he gave me Caden just for a little while and although the road gets rough, I am blessed!

Kari said...

This gives me chills! SO AWESOME AND INCREDIBLE! What a blessing to share on Awareness day as well!

Jessica Wilson said...

that's awesome that you are telling your story in church. I've seen God use our story too. We don't have accommodations at our church for Landen yet...which is hard bc i'm the music leader! =) But praying we will. Thanks for sharing...i really like your blog.