CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, August 31, 2012

Friends

Two things happened at school this week that made me smile.  Of course, both events happened in the cafeteria, because that's where I see my kids! 

First one:  Drew doesn't have a personal aide during lunch.  His aide gets him through the lunch line or helps him get his packed lunch arranged then has her own lunch break.  The lunchroom monitors know this and keep an eye on him.  I figure he's a sixth grader and he is able to eat his lunch without supervision.  Last year he sat by himself (due to his anxiety)  Toward the end of the year, some of his classmates started sitting with him at his table.  It was awesome.  This year, we decided to just send him through the lunch line with his classmates so he sits with them instead of making them come to him.  It works great.  The part that made me smile was when he was bringing his tray up to be washed.  One of his classmates (Carter) encouraged him along and showed him where his tray went.  Then he said, "Say hi to your mom!"  :)  I thought it was sweet.  Drew always has the biggest smile on his face when I see him at school and the whole reason for it is because he has friends.  No, they are not the typical sixth grade pals, but they are so important to him.  They encourage him along and if he is having trouble, one will come up to him and make a funny noise (farting noise, burping noise, whatever) and he cracks up. 

And the next one:  Blake is usually the first one through the lunch line and often sits with the packers, even if he didn't pack.  Well, yesterday Blake sat with the packers.  They were all girls at the table.  Blake doesn't mind this and sat eating his lunch.  A couple minutes later, I saw one of his classmates (David) go up to Blake's aide and say something to her.  Next thing I know, she is pulling a chair up to the table next to Blake and having the kids make room for another chair.  David sat down next to Blake and I saw him say, "Hi Blake".  Blake smiled at David and they ate their lunch together. 

2 comments:

Bonnie@TheFragileXFiles said...

Both such great stories. I love that the other 6th grads make him laugh with fart and burp noises!

Jenna said...

Hi Boys

My name is Jenna. You are a brave courageous fighter. You are a special miracle from god, a gift from above, earthly angel,and you are a smilen hero. You are full of happiness, life, smiles, joy, fun,love, and spunk.

I am so happy the boys are making friends, and that the kids are including them, it is really nice to hear.

I was born with bipolar, anxiety, I obsess but have never been diagnosed with the disorder. I haven't seen any doctors for it. I have behavioral issues and sensory processing disorder.

I was born with a rare life threatening disease, and have 14 other medical conditions, and developmental delays.

I wrote this poem
Each of us are Special
Each of us different,
No one is the same
Each of are us are unique in our own way,
Those of us who have challenges, we smile through our day.
Those who of us who have challenges, we smile through our day.
It doesn't matter what others say
we are special anyway.
What is forty feet and sings? the school chior
http://www.miraclechamp.webs.com