CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, August 23, 2010

Language barrier frustrations

You may remember awhile back how I got the big idea to put the closed captioning on the television to help the kids learn to read better? If you have no clue what I am talking about, click HERE

Drew refers to movie captioning as "the white" and television captioning as "the black". A little while ago, he asked to watch Chicken Run. No problemo. I put it in for him, and of course, put it on "the white". After a couple minutes, he said, "Help Mom! It's talking to me!" I went in to see what he meant. I asked, "What's talking to you?" "The white. It's talking to me. Can you fix it?" I asked if he would rather have the black and he said no. I checked the language, which was on English, and I checked to make sure there was no director commentary, and I just couldn't figure it out. I told him so, and he was quite perterbed with me. He apparently coudn't even watch it while it was talking to him, whatever that means. He went off into his bedroom and shut the door. He flapped his hands and squawked at his bed for awhile.

He came out a couple minutes later and said, "Can I just watch Teletubbies?" I guess he gave up on Chicken Run. lol.

0 comments: